Snapchat like Instagram, Whatsapp and Facebook is a popular social media app available across the world. But, what makes it unique from them is that it allows you to share videos and photos with other users that disappear soon after you send them.
Moreover, the Snapchat app offers an intuitive and easy experience and people usually have fun using it for instance— they can interact with each other in different ways, maintain streaks, send each other pictures and videos, make creative content using its various filters, and even share snaps & stories outside the app.
Hence, a few months ago when thousands of Snapchat users started receiving messages that their accounts have been either temporarily or permanently locked, this caused an outrage on social media as seeing this message is by no means pleasant.
In fact, we very well understand how frustrating it can be when Snapchatters discover that their account is locked!
So, if you too, have been experiencing this situation, and you happen to be a prolific Snapchat user then, being locked out of your Snapchat account will probably be a bit more irksome to you than those whose Snapchat game is woefully slack. This is because it could definitely take some of the fun out of your life and in the worst-case scenario; you can lose all your hard-earned streaks too.
However, don’t worry! There are ways that you can use to rectify this situation. But before that while it might convey you relief that oftentimes Snapchatters are only temporarily locked out of their account for a few hours but, it is also possible to become locked out of Snapchat for an extended period of time or even for permanent.
So, keep your fingers crossed, hope for the best and at the same time, be prepared for the worst!
Now, let’s straightaway read on what you need to know and do if your Snapchat account is locked:
For What Snapchat Account Gets Locked and How to Identify the Category of A Locked Snapchat Account?
First of all, let us tell you that, if your Snapchat account has been locked then, it usually because Snapchat has detected some activity from your account that violates Snapchat’s Terms of Service | Community Guidelines.
So, if you do break the rules then, as mentioned above also, Snapchat can lock your account either temporarily, permanently or even for a certain period of time when your account seems to be compromised.
In short, the motive behind locking a Snapchat account in any of the following below-discussed categories is to keep the app fun and safe for everyone.
Category 1: Your Snapchat Account Has Been Temporarily Locked—
When you try to log in to your Snapchat account, if you see a message stating “your Snapchat account has been locked temporarily so, please wait for at least 24 hours and after that try logging in again” or this full error message, “Oh No! Your account has been temporarily locked out. For details on why this might have happened, you can visit https://www.snapchat.com/locked” then, it means you’re temporarily locked out of your account.
Category 2: Your Snapchat Account Has Been Permanently Locked—
If you visit the Snapchat login page to try to log in to the same and instead, get a message stating that “Snapchat support team will not be able to unlock it for you” then, it means it has been permanently locked.
Category 3: Your Snapchat Account Has Been locked because It was Compromised—
When you attempt to log in to your account but in return, see a message stating that “contact our support team here and fill out the form. We will get in touch with you via email” then, you have to understand that your account may have been compromised and that’s why it has been locked.
Now, after identifying the category of your locked Snapchat account, you must be questioning the reason why my Snapchat account gets locked, right!
If so then, let us tell you that because some users receive the notification that the account is temporarily locked, few receive that they are locked out for an extended period of time, while others are informed that their accounts are locked permanently so, it is not possible to determine the exact reason why this could happen.
However, there are definitely a lot of common reasons for which a Snapchat account may have been locked— that is, why a user might be unable to use the app.
What Causes A Snapchat Account to Be Locked?
As per Snapchat only, the following are the list of reasons for a temporarily or permanently locked Snapchat account—
Using the Third-Party Apps & Plugins
The first being straight up why this could happen is because of using an unauthorized third-party app, plugin, or tweak to access Snapchat or Snapchat services.
To be precise, some apps and plugins are authorized by Snapchat, and some aren’t. So, if you use unauthorized apps or plugins for Snapchat especially “SCOthman, Phantom, Sneakaboo, SnapTools, Emulator, and Snapchat++” then, they can put your account at risk, and you end up receiving “We are sorry, we were unable to process your request” this message while trying to login to your account.
Involved in Spam, Abuse, Adult Content & Other Unsolicited Messages
In case, you get yourself involved in sending spam, posting adult content or abusing the platform or any Snapchat user then, this unwanted, unusual, and unaccepted behavior of yours can go against Snapchat Community Guidelines and Terms of Service and might get your account temporarily locked or in some extreme situations- even leads to a permanent ban.
Suspicious Activity Including Usage of ‘Bots’
You can also get blocked as a result of activity that Snapchat considered suspicious for instance if in a short span of time, you’ve added too many friends or send direct messages to mass that too, without having verified your email or phone number. This also includes the utilization of third-party “bots” to take over your Snapchat account and make actions in an automated manner on your behalf.
Login to Snapchat for an Unknown Location or Device
Last but not least, this reason for being locked out of your account isn’t bad at all, though. Snapchat makes sure to keep all its users’ accounts secure and in doing so, it often maintains a record of the device and location that a user usually logs in.
Thus, whenever there’s an unusual login attempt from a new (unknown) device or location, it triggers Snapchat, and it detects that IP address or device has managed to log into your account to implement on the user’s behalf a “protective lock” on the account for ensuring no further damage or compromises occur.
So, these are the prime reasons why Snapchat might lock a Snapchatter’s account.
Things to Try Before Attempting to Unlock a Locked Snapchat Account
Having read the aforementioned reasons, you must be thinking that it is the time to learn how to get a locked Snapchat account unlocked again when it happens!
However, not really because there are several things you that you need to do before attempting to unlock your Snapchat account, and they are as follows—
Remove All Third-Party Snapchat Plugins and Apps
If your Snapchat account is locked for using unauthorized plugins and third-party apps associated with Snapchat then, you will get notification for the same in a manner that your account is temporarily locked, and you should uninstall these apps and plugins before you try to unlock the account.
[Note: If you fail to do so in time, you might receive another report and after sending a total of 3 reports, Snapchat will ban your account unexpectedly.]
So, it is advisable to avoid unlocking your Snapchat account before getting rid of the plugins and apps that weren’t authorized by the Snapchat platform.
Reinstall the Snapchat App
You can also consider reinstalling the Snapchat app from your respective mobile phone. Well, because doing so will also delete all such data that you never knew could be causing the app to display the ‘Locked Account’ message during when you attempt to log in to your respective Snapchat account.
However, it is worth noting that, if Snapchat has suspended/locked your account for believing that you’ve violated its rules and Terms of Service then, unfortunately, reinstalling the Snapchat app in this case won’t help you much.
Force Reset your Phone
During your attempt to log in to your Snapchat account, you can also receive the ‘Locked Account’ error message on your screen because of a minor glitch. So, it is recommended that you should also perform a hard reset of your respective Android or iPhone to try eliminating any such glitch as being a potential cause behind your inability to get access to your Snapchat account.
Get in Touch with Snapchat’s Customer Service
Unarguably, reaching out to Snapchat’s customer support proves to be the fastest way to get the detailed information about the reasons why your account was locked and to apprise yourself whether you can get access to your account ever and if yes then, how long will it take, along with knowing the ways you can try to get you locked account unlocked again!
Now, the right time has come when you’re finally ready to get back into your locked Snapchat account. So, let’s dig deep into the same—
How to Unlock a Temporarily Locked Snapchat Account?
There are a total of two possible ways through which you’ll likely get your temporarily locked Snapchat account unlocked.
Way 1: Use the Unlock Page
If your account is temporarily locked then, you can simply visit this “https://accounts.snapchat.com/accounts/unlock” – ‘Unlock Page link’ in a web browser of your choice.
- On reaching there, what first you’ve to do is enter your ‘Username or Email’ that is associated with your Snapchat account.
- Following that, enter your account’s ‘Password’ as well.
- Next, you need to check the ‘I’m not a robot’ checkbox for verification of your identity.
- Once you’ve done that, tap on the ‘Log-in’ button.
- In the end, select the ‘Unlock’ option to get access to your account.
Alternatively, you can try logging back in via the Snapchat app also.
After doing so, if the duration of ban time that passes is sufficient, you will see a confirmation message that your Snapchat account is now unlocked and if it hasn’t been enough time then, you’ll have to try again in a few hours.
[Important: Though, you can use this website on any of your computer, phone, or tablet device to unlock your temporarily locked Snapchat account after several hours; you may have to wait up to 24 hours if your account was locked for some serious offenses.]
Way 2: Contact the Snapchat Customer Support Team
Using this aforementioned method, if you’re unable to get back into your account after 24 hours; you can head towards this “https://support.snapchat.com/en-US/i-need-help” link and can contact Snapchat to get your account unlocked.
- There, on the Snapchat Customer support page, click or tap the ‘I can’t access my account’ option. It’s the first option located below “What can we help you with?”
- As you do so, another set of options will appear under “Oh No! Tell us more” section. Out of all its options, you just have to click or tap the ‘I think my account was hacked’ option.
- After that, click or tap on the ‘Yes’ button located next to “Need Help with something else?” option which is at the bottom of the page. In doing so, a ‘Form’ will display on the screen that you can fill with your username, email, and phone number.
- In addition to entering these asked details, you also need to type an email message to explain your situation for instance why your account was locked and to assure that you will now follow the terms of Snapchat service more strictly.
- Lastly, just click or tap the ‘Send’ button to email Snapchat for convincing to unlock your account.
How to Unlock a Compromised Account Locked by Snapchat?
In case your Snapchat account was locked for suspecting that your account security may have been compromised then, you need to immediately, reach out to Snapchat’s customer support team via this link https://support.snapchat.com/en-US/i-need-help?start=5145405817880576.
- On reaching there, you can click or tap the ‘I think my account was compromised’ option under “What can we help you with?” section.
- After you do so, Snapchat will prompt you to contact support via filling out the form that appears on the screen with the following necessary details—
- Phone number, and
- What Information Should We Know? [In this you can explain as much detail of your situation as possible, for instance you can explain why you think your account may be hacked and more such.]
- Once you complete the form, just click or tap the ‘Send’ button.
Now, wait to hopefully receive a positive response from Snapchat support regarding getting your account unlocked and gain access to the same.
How to Unlock a Permanently Locked Snapchat Account?
Unfortunately, if your Snapchat account is permanently locked by the platform then, no matter how many attempts you do to unlock your account; Snapchat will not be able to unlock it for you.
Instead, if your old account was permanently locked then, chances are that you’ll have to create a new Snapchat account with a new email address and/or phone number to continue using Snapchat.
Create a New Snapchat Account
In order to create a new Snapchat account, you need to just follow these below given simply steps—
- Step 1: On your respective phone, first open the Snapchat app via tapping on its icon.
- Step 2: Then, tap on the ‘Sign up’ option from the screen that appears in front of you.
- Step 3: After that, you’re prompted to enter your ‘First and Last Name’ into the blank spaces available. However, note that, you can always change your First and Last Name whenever you feel like.
- Step 4: Upon entering your name, you just need to tap on the blue-colored ‘Sign-Up & Accept’ button which is located at the bottom of the screen.
- Step 5: Following that, you need to also enter your ‘Birthday’ as every year on your birthday; Snapchat will be customized to celebrate it.
- Step 6: As you’ve entered your birthdate, tap on the ‘Continue’ button from the bottom of the screen.
- Step 7: Now, when you continue, you’ll view your username. Albeit, you’ll notice that Snapchat has an automatically generated username for you but, if you want, you can change it.
In order to do so, tap on the ‘Change my Username’ option which is available underneath.
Alternatively, if Snapchat does not generate one for you, you can yourself create your own.
- Step 8: Once you’ve done that, again tap on ‘Continue’ to move ahead with the process.
- Step 9: Now, you need to set a password for your Snapchat account that you’re creating. For that, just enter a ‘Password’ (having at least 8 characters) in the blank space available and then, tap on the ‘Continue’ button.
- Step 10: Next, you’ve to enter your phone number as well. Once you provide your phone number, you’ll receive a verification code via SMS that you use to verify the creation of your account.
In regard to this, if you wish to enter your email address instead then, simply tap on ‘Sign up with email’ and enter your email address to receive the verification code via mail.
- Step 11: Once you verify your account, you need to just tap on the ‘Continue’ button located at the bottom of the screen.
Before ending this blog, it is worth mentioning that there are some preventive measures you can take to prevent your Snapchat account getting temporarily or permanently locked.
Preventive Measures: How Do I Stop Snapchat from Locking My Account in the Future?
To safe and secure your Snapchat account from getting locked unnecessarily and unexpectedly, you must consider fulfilling these requirements—
- You should verify your email address and phone number to make sure you are a real, genuine user of Snapchat and also to look more trustworthy on the Snapchat platform.
- Use only Snapchat approved plugins and apps and not those that are likely unauthorized and against Snapchat’s terms of service.
- Never try to mess out with platform rules and regulations.
- Do not indulge yourself in any suspicious activity that goes against Snapchat’s community guidelines.
- And, last but not least, keep your Snapchat account’s password random and secure via using a passphrase and combination of random characters to not let anyone easily guess it to compromise your account’s security.
So, these are the effective ways that are worthy of using to avoid potential issues and of course unnecessary locks.
The Bottom Line
That’s all! Hopefully, you got enough guidance on why a Snapchat account gets locked and how to unlock a temporarily and compromised locked account back and not a permanent locked account in case you got your Snapchat account locked. Besides that, keep a note of preventive measures that we’ve mentioned as prevention is always better than cure.
Next, you can consider reading: What are the Benefits and Use of Social in School?