Stop YouTube from Auto Pausing with this Comprehensive Guide
Always and especially in the last 2 years of the lockdown phase amid the coronavirus pandemic, YouTube has played an important role in our lives. Most of us have adopted this habit of watching YouTube videos every day to keep us entertained, right!
But, let’s admit, it also disappoints through this notification which reads- “Video Paused: Continue Watching?”
Seeing your ‘YouTube videos pausing’ is never a pleasing experience. Sad to say, it’s a relatively common issue.
However, the good thing about the same is that it can be easily solved. But, before we provide you solutions for this particular ‘YouTube video stopping’ problem due to which YouTube is not working effectively; it is necessary to first understand what are the reasons behind it. Well because until you will not enlighten yourself about the cause of the issue, how can you implement the solution that prevents YouTube videos from playing!
So, let’s have a look at some of the possible reasons that stop YouTube videos from playing and lead to such an unpleasant situation.
Also, Read: YouTube Comments are Not Loading? Follow This Troubleshooting Guide
Reasons Why YouTube Videos Keep Pausing-Explained
Although, if YouTube video pauses happen occasionally, it is rarely a cause for concern, but, if the issue occurs very frequently, then the problem definitely needs further investigation.
So, if you’re wondering why YouTube videos get paused then, let us tell you that there can be many reasons why your video may pause ranging from— “YouTube’s default settings or technical fault in YouTube’s server to a slow internet connection or a faulty browser.”
However, this will not be enough, instead you should take a more detailed look at the below-mentioned most common causes of ‘YouTube video pausing’ problem—
Reason 1: YouTube Default Settings
If your YouTube has been pausing out of the blue then, the prime reason for the same is either the recent ‘Auto-pause’ or ‘Remind Me to Take a Break’ feature which YouTube has introduced.
It is one of the many wonderful features of YouTube. However, it has been introduced to make YouTubers’ lives easier because with this feature you will not have to manually close YouTube videos when you need to do something else.
To be precise, this feature pauses the video playing in case you’ve been inactive on YouTube for a while with the aim to prevent you from missing important details in the content you were watching.
However, this is not always helpful. Sometimes it also creates trouble by unnecessarily pausing YouTube videos.
Understand it this way— you’re watching a YouTube playlist or listening to it in the background while doing something like cleaning your room. But, this signals YouTube that you’re inactive and then, the auto-pause feature would ruin the whole experience by auto-pausing the video considering you inactive.
Read This Also: No Sound on YouTube? Get it Fixed with These Solutions
Remind Me to Take a Break Feature:
Not just the ‘Auto-pause’ there is the ‘Remind Me to Take a Break feature’ also because of which your video pauses at a certain time. This feature reminds you when to take a break from watching videos once you’ve turned it on and set the reminder ranging from 15 minutes to as long as 3 hours.
So, maybe you’ve forgotten about it after turning it on and thus, whatever time you’ve set the reminder using this feature, YouTube is stopping your video exactly after that time-period.
Reason 2: Internet Network Issues
Another potential reason why your YouTube video may pause is that you have experienced network disruption. Yes! Whether you know it or not, YouTube’s in-built algorithm can pause the video whenever there’s insufficient bandwidth or network issues.
Reason 3: Web Browser Issues
Other than internet issues, there are also certain browsers that can cause YouTube to pause videos. This is because of a glitch caused by the cookies or cache files, outdated versions of browsers or because of some extensions that have the potential to interrupt the YouTube video from loading properly.
Reason 4: YouTube Is At Fault
Undoubtedly, YouTube is among the most pervasive video streaming services today and thus, claims around 2 billion users worldwide. But, despite being the world’s largest video streaming platform, it fails to deliver sometimes for the fact that it’s not fully resistant to technical faults or bugs.
Every now and then, YouTube has outages making everyone’s watching experience at halt. Thus, if it is not any other issue then, it is probably YouTube itself which is at fault.
How to Stop YouTube Auto-Pausing?
Now you know about the most common reasons why a YouTube video may pause, it’s time to move on to read the main part i.e., solving the issue. The below section helps you learn what solutions you can apply for each above-listed reason to stop YouTube from pausing.
So, let’s get started—
[General Tip: If you have a habit of using headphones to watch YouTube videos then, consider checking your headphones on priority basis. This is because if your headphones are defective or damaged then, maybe the issue occurs only when you play videos with headphones on. So, if it’s your headphones why you’re experiencing constant pausing of YouTube videos, you can either fix your headphones or watch videos without headphones on.]
Solutions for YouTube Default Settings
Disable ‘Auto Pause’ Feature
If YouTube pauses a video and asks if you’d like to ‘Continue watching?’ It means ‘Auto-pause’ feature is by-default enabled in your case.
So, if it is the ‘auto-pause’ feature that is causing the problem, then what you can do is ‘disable auto-pause mode’ by clicking on the bottom of the video you are playing.
Disable the Notification with Extension
In case you have the most updated version of YouTube, it is not possible to disable the ‘auto-pause’ feature as YouTube and Google introduced the same to make sure all the YouTube users interact continuously with the page so, they won’t straightaway let you disable this feature!
However, worry not as there’s a way out. You can disable the notification with the help of “AutoTube – YouTube nonstop” extension that is currently available for two popular browsers i.e., Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome.
So, in order to download the “AutoTube – YouTube nonstop” extension for free of charge from these two browsers, you can use the below-listed respective link—
|Browser||Link||How to Download|
|Google Chrome||https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/youtube-nonstop/nlkaejimjacpillmajjnopmpbkbnocid||Access this link and download the AutoTube extension by clicking on “Add to Chrome” > “Add Extension.”|
|Mozilla Firefox||https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/youtube-nonstop/||Access this link and download the AutoTube extension by clicking on “Add to Firefox” > “Add.”|
Hopefully this will prevent YouTube from stopping autoplay by making you appear to be active on YouTube as the extension auto clicks on ‘popup notifications’ on your behalf to let you watch YouTube videos without interruption.
Turn off the ‘Remind Me to Take a Break’ Feature
If the ‘Remind me to take a break’ feature is turned on your YouTube app then, most probably this is the culprit. However, worry not, your YouTube videos won’t pause anymore once you turn this feature off via following these given steps—
- Step 1: Open the YouTube app on your respective device.
- Step 2: Then, navigate to the ‘YouTube Settings.’
- Step 3: From the settings menu, you need to expand the ‘General’ section.
- Step 4: In that, you simply have to select the reminder frequency for “Remind me to take a break” option to ‘Never.’
Solutions for Internet Network Issues
- If you are not able to load the full video and are getting ‘YouTube video keeping pausing’ notification in return, it could be due to slow internet connection. So, the first thing you need to do is to close other open browser tabs that are using your internet.
- Secondly, you can unplug the power cable from your modem and wait for 1 or 2 minutes to plug it back.
- Thirdly, consider adjusting (lowers down) the YouTube video quality with the help of a gray gear icon from the navigation bar. You can go down to 720P or even to 480P to ensure that ‘Video Pausing’ gets stopped.
- Lastly, it is suggested that you should restart your router or contact your internet service provider to investigate the issue further and help you fix the same.
However, if you still have internet problems then, what we recommend you to do is pre-download videos from YouTube when you have a strong network connection. You can download the videos which you like to watch in offline mode by using free download services like—
Solutions for Web Browser Issues
Optimize Your Web Browser
- Step 1: Begin by opening your respective web browser that you use to access YouTube.
- Step 2: Once opened, click on the ‘Three-dots’ icon which is located in the top-right corner of the browser’s home page.
- Step 3: As you do so, a drop-down options list will appear in front of you and from the same you’ve to locate and click on the ‘Settings’ option.
- Step 4: Now, on the Settings window, click on the ‘Privacy and Security.’
- Step 5: In the end, simply hit the ‘Clear Data’ button to clear the browsing history, cache, and cookies for optimization of your web browser.
Use the New Version of Your Web Browser
As you should always use the most up-to-date version of your browser as newer versions let you easily load the YouTube website and play videos without any unnecessary pausing so, download the latest version of any Web Browser of your choice—
Remove |Disable Browser Plug-in Extensions and Add-ons
- Step 1: To disable or remove browser’s plugin extension /add-ons, you first need to open your Chrome browser.
- Step 2: Then, click on this ‘≡’ menu icon located at the top right of the browser.
- Step 3: Next, you need to click on ‘Tools’ and select the ‘Extensions’ option to open a new “Options” tab.
- Step 4: There, you either need to uncheck ‘Enabled’ to disable an extension or you can click the ‘Remove’ button to delete it completely.
Other than this, you can—
- Enter “chrome://plugins/” in your Chrome browser’s address bar to view plugins that add compatibility and functionality, such as Adobe Flash or Apple QuickTime.
- Now, you can click the ‘Disable’ toggle switch or ‘Remove’ button under the plugin you need to disable.
[Note: As Google Chrome is one such browser that the majority use, we’ve listed steps of removing plug-in extensions and add-ons for this particular one. If other browsers, you can Google for their respective instructions.]
Solution If YouTube Is At Fault
Check the Server of YouTube
- Step 1: On your respective device, first open the web browser of your choice.
- Step 2: Then, using your web browser, you’ve to visit one of these sites—
- YouTube’s status page at DownDetector
- Down For Everyone Or Just Me
- Outage Report
- Is It Down Right Now
[Note: It’s also worth checking YouTube’s Help Center or the Known Issues page for any ongoing technical issues on the platform.]
- Step 3: On reaching the site of your choice, you’ve to click on the ‘Search’ text bar.
- Step 4: Now, in the search bar, type ‘YouTube’ and hit the ‘Enter’ button to know the status of the YouTube Server.
In doing so, if you find out that, YouTube server is down only for you then, what you should do is contact the local administrator to fix it. However, if it is down for everybody then, you just have to wait till YouTube fixes the issue for all.
Now most probably after dealing with these ‘Internet, Browser, YouTube Technical & YouTube’s Default Settings’ issues you’ll be able to resolve the ‘YouTube videos keep pausing’ issue.
However, that’s not it! The discussed ‘YouTube Keeps Pausing’ problem can occur irrespective of Computer, Smart TV or Mobile device you’re using. However, of course, the reason for this to happen can vary from device to device.
Why Do YouTube Videos Keep Pausing on the Computer?
The potential factors that are making you face this problem on a computer can be an outdated O.S. version. Or, you never know the by-default available Antivirus and Firewall setting may be interfering with the smooth functioning of the apps including YouTube that is running on it.
Solutions to Stop YouTube from Pausing on Computer
Update your Windows Operating System
- Step 1: Start by clicking on the ‘Windows Logo’ key. In doing so, a menu will appear on the screen.
- Step 2: From the same, you’ve to select the ‘All Programs’ option.
- Step 3: Upon doing so, click on the ‘Windows Update’ option.
- Step 4: Next, what you’ve to do is select ‘Automatically download the Windows update’ option to let Windows automatically download the latest update on your O.S.
- Step 5: Once the update gets downloaded, just follow the on-screen instruction to successfully install the latest update.
This is to be done in order to keep your operating system up to date and free from glitches that cause trouble for other apps running on it.
Disable the Firewall and Third-party Antivirus
- For disabling third party Antivirus—you’ve to navigate from ‘Windows Settings’ to ‘Update & Security’ section. There, click on the ‘Windows Security’ option followed by ‘Virus & Threat Protection.’ Now, here what you just need to do is ‘Turn off Real-time protection’ toggle switch.
- For disabling Windows Firewall—first open ‘Control Panel’ and then, navigate to ‘Windows Firewall’ settings window. There, you’ve to click on ‘Turn off Windows Firewall’ to disable the Firewall so that it won’t conflict with YouTube.
Why Do YouTube Videos Keep Pausing on Mobile?
No wonders smartphones are the popular choice among people when it’s come to watching YouTube videos as they’re very handy and pocket friendly as compared to computers, laptops, and tablets. However, the problem occurs when the YouTube app version that you’ve installed on your mobile gets outdated and when there’s amalgamation of a lot of its cache.
Solutions to Stop YouTube from Pausing on Mobile
Clear the YouTube App Cache!
- Step 1: First of all, open your mobile ‘Settings.’
- Step 2: Then, tap on the ‘Apps and Notification or Applications’ option to expand the list of apps.
- Step 3: Now, you’ve to locate and tap on ‘YouTube’ from the list of apps.
- Step 4: Following that, select the ‘Storage’ option.
- Step 5: In the end, just tap on the ‘Clear Cache’ option to clear the YouTube app cache.
[Note: You should be careful enough to not select the ‘Clear Data’ option as doing this will remove all your YouTube data.
Update the YouTube App!
- Step 1: To update the YouTube app, you’ve to first access the ‘Google Play Store.’
- Step 2: Then, from its ‘Menu’ tap on the ‘Three-dot icon’ located in the top-right corner of the screen.
- Step 3: Following that, tap on ‘My Apps and Games’ option and make sure to select ‘YouTube.’
- Step 4: Now, in the end just tap on the ‘Update’ option which is right there in front of the YouTube app icon.
Once you do that, you’ll have an updated YouTube app on your mobile that probably won’t show the same problem anymore.
Why Do YouTube Videos Keep Pausing on Smart TV?
Since YouTube comes pre-installed in most of the smart TVs these days or people also get it by installing Fire TV Stick which is offered by Amazon for example. So, if you also belong to this category then, not to anyone’s surprise you can experience the same problem of ‘YouTube video keep pausing’ on your Smart TV as well due to above-discussed similar reasons.
Solutions to Stop YouTube from Pausing on Smart TV
- You can start troubleshooting by restarting the YouTube app on your Smart TV.
- Then, you can exit from all apps running in the background.
- After this, you can check that your Smart TV is properly connected to the Internet and is getting enough bandwidth. If not, do the needful.
- Lastly, it is recommended that you reset your modem or router to fix the problem of ‘YouTube videos keep stopping on the TV.’
That’s all! Hope this comprehensive guide helps you resolve the ‘YouTube Videos Keep Pausing’ issue from your respective device irrespective of the reason that leads to such an unpleasant situation.