YouTube is one of the largest online entertainment platforms these days; you get to listen to and download a lot of YouTube videos for free as well as paid movies are also available. But what if you aren’t able to hear any sound while you play a video. Yes, this can happen too and a lot of users have complained about getting no audio while they play music on the YouTube app.
If YouTube videos are not playing or you are getting no sound, here you will find everything related to this error and how to deal with it.
Try all the troubleshooting solutions provided here and see what works for you.
List of Solutions to Try When YouTube Audio is Not Working
1. Inspect the Volume of your Device
You must have already checked this but this is where you should start from. When there is no sound coming from YouTube videos or any other videos you play on your device, ensure that you haven’t disabled the sound of your system.
To unmute your device, you need to press a button either on the Keyboard or on the screen. Look for the ‘Mute’ button on your keyboard and press it to see if it helps or press the ‘Volume Increase’ button to get the job done.
2. Use Volume Mixer to Increase Volume
Volume Mixer is a tool that shows the volume level for each app installed on your computer. Using the volume mixer, you need to check if the audio is muted for your web browser. To open the Volume mixer,
- Right-click on the sound icon in the system tray and then click on ‘Open Volume Mixer’
- On the next screen, you will see the volume levels for each app and you need to look for your browser in this list. You may not see the volume level for your browser separately depending on your device.
- When you see the browser, drag the volume slider upwards to increase the volume and that’s it.
3. Check if the Video is Muted
Another reason that can make you face no sound from YouTube on Google Chrome is you have mistakenly muted the video itself. Also, if you have muted the video once, all the videos that you will further play will also remain on mute until you unmute it manually. To turn off the mute option from the YouTube videos:
- Open any video on YouTube and click on the ‘Speaker icon’ to unmute your video.
- You can also press the ‘M’ key on your keyboard to do the job.
4. Update the Audio Drivers
If YouTube is still not working and you are getting no sound, the chances are the audio drivers have gone outdated. Audio drivers are responsible for all the sounds that you hear from your device and if they have gone obsolete and are not playing any sound, you can get them updated to restore their functionality.
- Go to Device Manager; click on the option ‘Sound, video and game controllers’ to expand it
- Right-click on your sound card listed there and then click on ‘Update Driver’
- Next, you have to choose one of the two options- Search automatically for the updated driver software or browse my computer for driver software
- Once you update the drivers completely, restart your device
5. Go Incognito
If there is no sound for some YouTube videos or for all, this can be due to system configuration. Too many caches stored on your browser can also make you hear no sound coming from YouTube videos. To know if this is the reason, you can open an incognito window on your browser as this will not carry your stored history or cache while running YouTube videos.
- For Google Chrome users, click on the three-dots menu in the top-right corner; click on the option ‘New incognito window’
- On the new window, try to play any video on YouTube
- For Firefox users, click on three horizontal-lines and then select the New Private Window option.
6. Try Another Browser
If the audio on YouTube is still not working, you can try using another browser on your device to see if the browser is creating some issues while playing videos. Try to switch the browser and if the video plays the sound, it means there is some issue with your browser. You can try getting the latest update for your browser to fix this issue.
7. Use Audio Troubleshooter
If you are facing no sound issue with YouTube on Windows 10, you can use the audio troubleshooter to fix that. It will detect the problem with sound and will also recommend the steps to be taken to fix it. To run the troubleshooter:
- Go to ‘Settings’
- Click on ‘Update and Security’
- Click on ‘Troubleshoot’ from the left column
- Scroll down to ‘Playing the Audio’ section and click on it; then click ‘Run the Troubleshooter’
- Let it detect the issue and give you apt solutions
So whenever no sound is coming from YouTube, you can apply all the fixes explained above. Most of the time it is just a minor glitch that can be fixed easily by updating your browser, updating the audio driver, and so on.