Know How to Easily Deactivate or Delete Facebook Messenger & Its Top-7 Alternatives!
If you’re reading this post, you certainly want to know how to deactivate or delete your Facebook Messenger since deactivating or deleting Facebook Messenger can be tricky!
It is not like that if you deactivate your Facebook account then, your Facebook Messenger will also be deactivated.
In other words, deactivating your Facebook account doesn’t automatically deactivate or delete Facebook Messenger, and people may instead be able to see you and try to contact you. This is because the Facebook Messenger app is separate from Facebook, so deactivating your Facebook account will not automatically deactivate your Messenger account.
So, just read through this guide and by the end, you’ll be able to know the exact process of deactivating or deleting Facebook Messenger.
That said, let’s begin reading—.
- How to Deactivate Facebook Messenger?
- What Happens When You Deactivate Facebook Messenger?
- Can I Deactivate Messenger Without Deactivating Facebook?
- How to Turn Off Active Status for Facebook Messenger?
- How to Disable Notifications for Facebook Messenger?
- How to Delete the Facebook Messenger App?
- Why Should You Delete Facebook Messenger?
- How to Delete Your Facebook Messenger Account?
- Can I Delete Messenger Without Deleting Facebook?
- 7 Best Facebook Messenger Alternatives
Deactivating or deleting Facebook Messenger will temporarily delete the account and after that you won’t be able to access your chats, receive any notifications or compose/send a message to anyone.
So, if you are ready to deactivate your Facebook Messenger, remember that to see the option to deactivate your Messenger account, you must first deactivate your Facebook account as this is the only way to deactivate Messenger.
Note: Once deactivated, this can be reactivated anytime very easily.
However, despite the fact that the only way to deactivate Messenger is to deactivate your Facebook account first; you can try the other way around! According to that, if you don’t want to go to that extent to deactivate your Facebook Messenger, you can disable its active status, or just delete the app.
But before that, let’s check out the step-by-step instructions to deactivate your Facebook Messenger account—
How to Deactivate Facebook Messenger?
Deactivating Facebook Messenger is easy but divided into two-parts. Since your Messenger account is connected to your Facebook account; you will have to deactivate your Facebook account linked to it (in the first part) and then, (in the second part) Facebook Messenger can be deactivated from inside the Messenger app.
Otherwise, you can still appear offline on Facebook Chat without having to take the drastic step of deactivating your Facebook account.
Note: Deactivating a Facebook account will temporarily delete the account and when it’s done; your profile won’t be visible on site.
On that note, you just have to follow the below-mentioned simple steps to deactivate Messenger—
Note: These Messenger deactivation steps apply to both the iOS and Android platforms.
- Step 1: To begin, you require opening ‘Facebook Messenger App’ on your respective iOS or Android phone.
You may also require reading: These 12+ Fixes for Facebook Messenger Not Working on Android | iOS Devices
- Step 2: Once the Facebook Messenger app is open, tap on your ‘Profile’ in the top left corner.
- Step 3: In doing so, a menu will appear and from it, you’ve to tap the ‘Account Settings’ option.
- Step 4: Next, you need to choose ‘Account Ownership and Control’ under Account Settings.
- Step 5: Following that, tap on ‘Deactivation and deletion’ from the available options.
- Step 6: Now, out of the two, choose ‘Deactivate account’ and then, tap ‘Continue to account deactivation.’
- Step 7: In the end, you just need to follow the ‘On-screen instructions’ on your screen to confirm deactivation.
However, you need to keep in mind that these above-steps will only deactivate your Facebook account as you cannot deactivate Messenger without deactivating your Facebook account.
So, now that you’ve deactivated Facebook, here comes the second part so let’s see how to deactivate Facebook Messenger after deactivating Facebook—
- Step 1: Once again, open the Facebook Messenger App.
- Step 2: Then, tap on your ‘Profile’ in the top left corner to open the settings menu.
- Step 3: Next, you’ve to tap on ‘Legal & Policies’ from the menu that appears.
- Step 4: After that, tap on ‘Deactivate Messenger.’
- Step5: Thereafter, you need to just follow the on-screen instructions like you’ve to enter your ‘Password’ and tap on ‘Continue’ for deactivating your Facebook Messenger account.
- Step 6: In the end, tap on the blue ‘Deactivate’ button to confirm that you want to deactivate your Facebook Messenger.
Note: You can anytime reactivate your Facebook Messenger account after deactivating it. To reactivate your Facebook Messenger, you simply need to just log in to your account with your username and password.
Note: Albeit you can easily reactivate Facebook Messenger, it will also reactivate your main Facebook account. So, if you only want to have Messenger service, you’ll need to deactivate your Facebook account a second time.
|Q: What Happens When You Deactivate Facebook Messenger? |
A: If you’ve deactivated your Facebook Messenger account and wonder what happens after that then, let us tell you that if you deactivate your Facebook Messenger, your profile will not appear in its search results. Also, none of your Facebook ‘friends’ will be able to see your profile in the Messenger app or send messages in existing conversations.However, do note that your messages and comments will still be visible. So, in case you want those messages to disappear after a certain amount of time, you can turn on the Vanish mode by swiping up during the conversation.
Can I Deactivate Messenger Without Deactivating Facebook?
No, you can’t deactivate Messenger without deactivating Facebook and if you wonder why you can’t deactivate your Messenger, it’s most likely because you didn’t deactivate your Facebook account beforehand.
In short, you can’t deactivate Facebook’s Messenger and keep your Facebook account. However, the possible solution to do this would be to turn off your Messenger chat by hiding your status and disabling notifications—
How to Turn Off Active Status for Facebook Messenger?
- Step 1: First open your Messenger account.
- Step 2: Then, you’ve to tap on your ‘Profile picture’ located in the top left of the screen.
- Step 3: After that from the profile menu, you need to tap on ‘Active Status’ option.
- Step 4: Now, the next thing you’ve to do is use the toggle on top of the screen to simply turn your ‘Active Status’ either “Off” or “On.” If you turn it off, you will be shown as inactive.
How to Disable Notifications for Facebook Messenger?
You can also disable Facebook Messenger notifications simply by going to ‘Notifications and Sounds’ and then turning “On” for Do Not Disturb status.
Now as we mentioned earlier, if you want to continue using Facebook as a social media platform without Messenger, the best way to do that is to delete the app from your device—
Note: No need to worry though, you’ll still see communication requests in the top-right corner of your Facebook feed on the desktop website.
How to Delete the Facebook Messenger App?
To delete the Facebook Messenger app, below are the steps given for both Android and iPhone. So, depending on the mobile device you own, follow them accordingly—
|On Android||On iPhone|
|Go to the ‘Google Play Store.’||Firstly, navigate to the ‘iPhone Home screen’ from wherever you are!|
|In that, you’ve to search for the ‘Facebook Messenger app.’||Then, you’ve to simply press and hold the ‘Facebook Messenger icon.’|
|Once you’re able to find it, tap on the ‘Messenger icon’ to open.||As you do so, a menu will appear from which you require tapping on ‘Remove App.’|
|After that, tap on ‘Uninstall button’ next to it.||After that, tap on ‘Delete App’ to confirm deletion of Facebook Messenger from your iPhone.|
|In the end, tap on ‘OK’ to confirm the removal of the app from your android phone.|
However, even after deleting the app, other Messenger users will still be able to find you. Not only that, your friends will see that you’ve signed up for the service and are contactable. Hence, you may consider deleting your Facebook Messenger account completely to cut the crap.
Why Should You Delete Facebook Messenger?
If you have second thoughts about whether you should delete Facebook Messenger or not, then below are a few reasons that will definitely help you decide why you should delete Facebook Messenger—
- First is that Facebook Messenger is not private. Since Facebook has experienced massive data leaks and breaches in the past to tech companies, including Amazon, Microsoft, and Sony— your data is clearly not as secure as it is with its other applications.
- Messenger ranks poorly on the list of secure messaging apps because it tracks your behavior, lacks default encryption options, and doesn’t encrypt your past conversations.
- In addition, Facebook Messenger has access to your camera, microphone and contacts.
- Last but not least, Messenger’s source code is open to independent review, and its security design is not properly documented.
So, these are the reasons why you might consider ditching Facebook Messenger and look for another similar app as there are so many more privacy-focused instant messaging apps available to the users.
How to Delete Your Facebook Messenger Account?
If you choose to delete your Messenger account, it will be a good move to protect your privacy on social media, and we have already cleared that up. So, on that note, you can completely delete your Facebook Messenger account on iPhone or Android by following these steps—
- Step 1: On your respective mobile, you first you’ve to tap on the Messenger app.
- Step 2: Then, you need to login to your Messenger account via your username and password (if not logged in already).
Also, Read This: Guide to Help You Log Out of Facebook Messenger on Your Android/ iOS Device
- Step 3: Once logged in, tap on your ‘Profile picture’ which is in the top-left corner of the screen.
- Step 4: Next, tap on ‘Account Settings’ from the profile menu that appears on the screen.
- Step 5: Following this, what you’ve to do is, go to the ‘Account Ownership and Control’ section under the Account settings.
- Step 6: There, you simply need to tap on ‘Deactivation and Deletion.’
- Step 7: Now comes the main step, if you require deactivating your account you need to select the deactivation option but because here you want to delete your account so, just select ‘Delete Account’ option out of the two.
Note: Once the deletion process begins, you will not be able to reactivate your account or retrieve any content you have added to Facebook. However, of course before deleting your account, you can download your photos and posts if you wish.
- Step 8: In the end, just tap ‘Continue’ to account deactivation via following the instructions exactly as appeared on the on-screen.
However, note that these steps not only delete your Messenger account, it will delete your Facebook account too along with removing all your Facebook and Messenger content also.
Note: Deactivating your Facebook account is not the same as deleting your Facebook account. This is because when you deactivate your Facebook account, you can reactivate it at a later date, but if you delete your Facebook account, your Facebook profile data is gone forever and your Facebook Messenger account also.
Can I Delete Messenger Without Deleting Facebook?
Generally speaking, it’s a no-no! If your Messenger is linked to your Facebook account, it is not possible to delete your Messenger account unless you delete Facebook.
However, if you are using the stand-alone version of the Messenger app that is not linked to your Facebook account, you can easily delete your Messenger account.
That said, to delete your Messenger account which is not linked with your Facebook account, you can follow these steps—
- Step 1: Open the Messenger app on your mobile.
- Step 2: Then, tap your ‘Profile picture’ which is in the top left corner of the screen.
- Step 3: After that, tap on the ‘Account Settings’ option from the profile menu that appears.
- Step 4: Now, what you’ve to do is scroll down and tap the ‘Permanently Delete Account’ option followed by ‘Continue to Account Deletion.’
- Step 5: In the end, as prompted, enter your ‘Password’ and just tap ‘Continue.’
So, this is how these steps will help you delete your Facebook Messenger account.
7 Best Facebook Messenger Alternatives
Coming to the last section, if you’re ditching Facebook Messenger for all the above-discussed reasons, you’ll surely want to check out the other available encrypted messaging app, right! So, some of the best privacy-focused alternative messaging apps to Facebook Messenger are—
Tip: If you consider using another social media platform then, it’s worth checking out social media privacy tips for the same to see how you can protect your social life online and can also learn about privacy issues.
On top of the list, we’ve WhatsApp. It is a great choice for messaging that’s encrypted on both ends. WhatsApp with over 1.5 billion monthly users is the largest messaging platform in the world that offers video and voice calls. Basically, using WhatsApp, users can share text, photos, and voice and video messages with their WhatsApp contacts.
However, despite the fact that WhatsApp is owned by Facebook, it does offer unique features that you won’t find on Facebook Messenger. For instance, the main one which we’ve already mentioned in starting – that is – it offers end-to-end encryption, making it a secure option.
Brief is the next best choice as an alternative to Facebook Messenger. If you want to talk to colleagues, clients, and partners in an organized and secure way then, Brief is the platform to consider. It has all the features, characteristics and robust team collaboration tools because it was designed keeping professional users in mind.
Besides that, what is more interesting to know about this platform is its chat feature that gives you the ability to edit your messages even after they’ve been sent.
Overall, it stands out in comparison to Facebook and other Messenger alternatives – with its ease of use, task manager tools, and video chat.
So, if you find this surprising, let us tell you that in order to use Brief, you don’t need to register with your email address or remember a password. Rather, just enter your phone number, a one-time verification code sent to you via SMS along with your name, and you’re done!
Telegram is a highly popular messaging platform that needs no introduction as of today. It has disappearing messages, an easy-to-use interface, and encryption. With over 400 million monthly active users, Telegram is considered to be a solid app for the data and privacy concerned user.
Using Telegram, you can share videos, pictures or files with anyone, or participate in group chats with up to 100,000 participants. Not only that, you can also broadcast your message to an unlimited number of people.
In addition, the app allows you to pin messages to the top of the screen for quick reference. What’s more to mention is that users can create secret chats and set messages, photos and videos to self-destruct after a specific period of time.
However, do note that the app has some flaws, yet it is better than Messenger. Lastly, it is not open-source, so its code is not available for public audit.
This Facebook Messenger alternative is next on the list of secure messaging apps because it deletes your data automatically, so you can be sure it’s not left intact.
To be precise, Wickr is a single end-to-end encrypted service that provides a full suite of collaboration capabilities on any device.
In addition, you don’t need your phone number or email address to register on the Wickr instant messaging app that allows users to have group chats with up to 30 people and send and receive end-to-end encrypted messages including photos, videos, audios, and file attachments.
All in all, privacy wise, this is definitely the better solution, although it is not as user-friendly as many other apps.
Viber messaging app is another great alternative to Facebook Messenger as it offers end-to-end encryption by default. It is undoubtedly one of the most secure and privacy-focused messaging apps also because its features are comparable to WhatsApp.
This app enables users to make free phone and video calls across the globe. Not just that, users can also text, create group chats, share short video files and documents. Moreover, the ‘Viber Out’ feature lets you call non-Viber numbers and landline phones worldwide.
And, like Telegram, its ‘Secret Chats’ gives users extra privacy with self-destruction timers on all messages.
Considering all this, if you decide to have an account on Viber, remember that setup only requires a phone number. This means, no emails or passwords to remember.
However, the downside of using Viber is that its interface is not the most professional, and it also runs ads on its platform which can be distracting or annoying especially if you’re planning to use Viber as a messaging app for your business.
You are well aware that Microsoft-owned Skype is known for its video calling service, but you might not know that it does much more than that! For instance, it boasts to offer features such as instant messaging, file transfer, debit-based calls to landlines and mobile telephones, and much more.
To cut a long story short, Skype is an all-in-one audio, video, and text communication app available across multiple platforms. Therefore, it can be a great option to consider in place of Facebook Messenger.
Using this platform, users can send texts, photos and short video messages to other Skype users, no matter whether they are online or offline. In addition, users can purchase Skype Credit to make international calls to cell phones and landlines.
So, if you consider it, note that Skype doesn’t require a phone number to set up an account because it is already linked to your Microsoft account.
However, despite the fact that Skype has been the standard for video chats, logging into another platform to make video calls can be cumbersome.
|Download Skype for iOS | Android | Windows 10 Free|
Last but not least, Signal proves to be an effective alternative to Facebook Messenger as it offers SMS, video calls, group calls, file-sharing, team chats, and disappearing messages options.
Apart from this, it is to be mentioned that the app also offers a desktop version, so you can sync messages between your phone and laptop –just like Facebook Messenger.
Furthermore, Signal uses strong encryption protocols and does not store your data. This makes the platform transparent and increases the trust of the users in the app.
Above all, it is to mention that Signal is open-sourced, so the community constantly reviews its code.
So, these are some of the best alternatives to Facebook Messenger that you can use without thinking if security is your top concern. However, no matter which messaging app you use, we strongly recommend that you use a VPN as it will encrypt your traffic, and with that, you will also be able to communicate securely and privately at all times.
In a Nutshell
Messenger outshine as the go-to instant messaging app for Facebook –which is one of the most popular social media platforms around the world that is used by millions of people to regularly message, share photos, videos and statuses with their friends and family.
Coming to the point, Messenger’s features are useful, and the majority of the Facebook users use it daily for their work and personal lives as it offers individual and group messaging, as well as the ability to share images, videos and text with built-in stickers, emoji and GIF.
However, all of this has come at a cost because ever since Facebook’s Cambridge Analytica scandal broke out in March, users have been apprehensive about legitimate privacy and data safety.
So, for this reason, if you feel that you’ve had enough of Facebook Messenger, you can simply deactivate your account. But remember that you can only deactivate Messenger if you previously deactivated your Facebook account.
That means you need to deactivate both your Facebook account and Facebook Messenger account to completely dispose of. And, for that, now you don’t need to worry because this complete guide is here to help you to deactivate or delete your Facebook Messenger account.
Furthermore, we have discussed some of the top apps like Messenger that focus on privacy. So, if you decide to leave Facebook Messenger, you can join one of the alternative apps listed here. That’s all!