Try These 12+ Fixes for Facebook Messenger Not Working on Android | iOS Devices
Undoubtedly, Facebook Messenger has emerged as one of the most popular platforms to-date, but at the same time, it also faces a number of issues like any other robust app.
So, if you’re among the millions of people who use the Facebook Messenger app every day, but have been struggling to get Facebook Messenger working on your phone lately, don’t worry!
This piece of content is worth reading to get full help on how to fix the problem with Facebook Messenger on your respective (iPhone or Android) mobile device.
Having said that, let us begin troubleshooting—
12 Quick Fixes for Facebook Messenger Not Working on Android | iOS Devices
Fix 1: Check If Messenger Server Is Down
First of all let us ask you this—
When you open the Facebook Messenger app, are you greeted with a blank, white page?
Have you tried refreshing it?
If so and even refreshing doesn’t help then, it would be great if you check regarding server outages for Messenger before you actually start troubleshooting the ‘Facebook Messenger isn’t working’ issue!
It is often seen that Messenger faces problems due to outages and as there have been many instances of this happening in the past, it is not uncommon for Facebook services to go offline unnecessarily.
Keeping this in mind, you should first check the Facebook Messenger server and here is how you can do that—
- Step 1: To check ‘Is Facebook Messenger down,’ you need to first open the web browser of your choice.
- Step 2: Then, using your browser, visit this Platform Status page for Facebook to see the lists of ongoing outages (if there’s any).
Alternatively, you can also visit any of the following third-party services—
They can also help you check the status of Facebook Messenger.
As a result, if it turns out that the problem is on Facebook’s end, and you are not the only one who is facing the server problem right now, then your only option is to wait until Facebook fixes the problem.
No, wait! You can consider using an alternative messaging service for the time being.
However, if the report shows that there is no server outage issue with Facebook Messenger; you can just go ahead to try out the fixes below.
|Tip: Another good idea before you starts troubleshooting ‘Facebook Messenger app issues on your smartphone’ would be to check if you can access the Messenger service using a web browser. It clears your mind whether the problem lies with Messenger itself or your phone is the culprit.|
Fix 2: Clear Facebook Messenger App Cache
Albeit, the cache allows your apps to store some data temporarily, which makes them run faster and help them use few resources; but you need to clear it regularly otherwise the collection of cache files gets piled up and this can cause the Messenger app to malfunction.
So, if you forgot to do that, then you have to clear your app cache immediately so that it can start afresh and how you can clear it is given below in the form of steps you should follow!
|Note: This solution will probably not just solve the problem encountered, but will also improve and enhance the performance of your Messenger app by reducing its data processing and fetching.|
- Step 1: To begin, tap on the Settings App icon to open it.
- Step 2: Then, inside your phone settings, select the Apps or Apps & Notifications option.
- Step 3: Next, you need to tap on the Three-dotted icon from the upper-right corner of the screen to select the Show System Apps option.
- Step 4: Following that, tap on See all Apps.
- Step 5: As you do this, a list of all the apps installed on your phone appears and from this app list, you have to find and select the Facebook Messenger app.
- Step 6: Next, on the Messenger’s App info interface, you need to tap on the Storage & cache option.
- Step 7: Now what you need to do is tap on the Clear Cache button to wipe away the stored cache.
|Note: After doing so, you will receive a warning message that your Messenger application data will be deleted. However, you don’t have to worry because it won’t delete your photo and video data; rather it just deletes how the Messenger app remembers your media and where to find it in your phone’s gallery.|
- Step 8: Once you’re done, just reboot your Android device right away and restart Messenger to see if it works.
- Step 1: Open your iPhone Settings app first and to do so tap on the Settings icon from the app’s drawer.
- Step 2: Then, tap on the General option.
- Step 3: In that, you simply need to select the iPhone Storage option to open it.
- Step 4: Following that, scroll down the iPhone storage until you’ll see the list of apps available on your iPhone.
- Step 5: In the app list, you need to locate and tap on the Facebook Messenger App.
- Step 6: Now, you just have to tap on the Offload App option to free up some storage used by the Messenger app’s cache.
- Step 7: After doing that, make sure to give your iPhone device a quick reboot and then, restart Messenger to check whether you are able to use it without facing any issues or not.
Fix 3: Reset Your Device’s Network Settings
To no one’s surprise, if you have a network error on your respective Android or iOS device, you are likely to experience problems with your apps and software, including Facebook Messenger.
Thus, it is suggested that along with clearing your Facebook Messenger cache you should also try resetting your network settings and below are the instructions of how you can do that!
- Step 1: To reset network settings, open your phone Settings app first.
- Step 2: Inside Settings, tap on the Backup & reset option.
- Step 3: Following that, you need to select the Network settings reset option to reset all your Wi-Fi and Internet connection settings.
- Step 4: Once you’ve done that, make sure to reconnect to your Wi-Fi and other networks like before.
- Step 1: Head to the Settings app.
- Step 2: Then, tap on General tap to open it.
- Step 3: In that, you’ve to navigate from Reset options to Reset Network Settings.
- Step 4: There, you can easily reset all your Wi-Fi networks, passwords, and cellular settings that you’ve used.
- Step 5: After resetting all your network settings, you can once again connect back to your Wi-Fi and other networks.
Fix 4: Force Stop the Facebook Messenger App
If resetting your phone settings doesn’t fix the messenger not working problem then, consider this way out. As for some users this has actually helped so, it might work for you as well.
That being said, you can try to Force Stop the Messenger app via following these steps—
- Step 1: First of all, simply head back to the main Settings menu and there launch the Apps menu.
- Step 2: From the Apps menu, you need to tap on the All-Apps option and as you do so; a list of all apps available on your phone appears.
- Step 3: In the apps list, look for Messenger and then, tap on the Force Stop option.
Now, re-launch the Facebook Messenger app and also consider logging out of Messenger and then, logging back in to see if it works without any errors or not!
Fix 5: Change Time and Date Settings
Believe it or not, changing the time and date settings of your phone can be a possible solution to many sorts of Facebook Messenger errors. So, keeping that in mind, below are the steps to change the time and date setting on your respective phone.
- Step 1: To begin, launch the Settings app on your phone.
- Step 2: Then, tap on System and following that tap on Date & Time.
- Step 3: Now, inside the Date and time menu, what you’ve to check is that these Set time automatically and Set time zone automatically options are selected. If not, make sure to select them.
- Step 1: As the steps for iPhone users are a bit simpler so first launch the Settings app.
- Step 2: Then, choose the General option to open.
- Step 3: In that, tap on Date & Time.
- Step 4: Now, you can simply activate the Set automatically option.
Once this is done, head back to the Home Screen of your phone and try opening the Messenger app to see if it helps you fix the encountered Messenger error or not!
Fix 6: Connect With Your Wi-Fi / Cellular Data Again
If you’re able to launch Messenger on your phone but are facing problems in sending and receiving messages then, this might be because of a slow/poor internet connection. Resolving internet connection problems is as simple as turning ‘Off’ (for a few seconds) and turning back ‘On’ your Wi-Fi / cellular data or connecting to a new & high-speed internet connection network.
Fix 7: Update the Facebook Messenger App
If this doesn’t solve your problem, what the best you can do is reinstall Facebook Messenger. However, before you do that, we suggest you check whether your Messenger application is updated or not!
If you are not using its updated version, then this is probably the reason why you are facing errors and other technical glitches.
However, don’t worry as you can always check if there is an update available for Facebook Messenger and install it to find out if doing so helps you fix the problem!
So, considering this in mind, you can follow the below-instructions to update Facebook Messenger App.
- Step 1: Firstly open the Google Play Store app on your phone.
- Step 2: Inside the Google Play Store, tap on Three-horizontal lines from the upper-left corner of the screen.
- Step 3: As you do so, a menu will appear in front of you, and from it, you’ll have to select the My Apps Games option.
- Step 4: Then, simply open the Update section and inside it, scroll down to find the Installed Facebook Messenger app.
- Step 5: Once you’re able to locate it, tap on it to open the FB Messenger app’s storage page.
- Step 6: Now, to begin downloading the latest update of Facebook Messenger app, you just need to tap on the Update button.
- Step 7: Lastly, when the download finishes, follow the on-screen prompts to install the updated version of Facebook Messenger app.
- Step 1: Tap on the App Store from your iPhone’s home page.
- Step 2: Then, tap on the Update section inside the App Store. It is located in the bottom right-corner of the screen.
- Step 3: Next, you’ve to tap on the Available Update option and then, simply scroll down to find and select the Messenger app.
- Step 4: Following that, tap on its Update button.
- Step 5: In continuation, tap on the Open button to download the Messenger app update on your iPhone.
- Step 6: Now, when the update gets downloaded, move on to follow the on-screen instructions to successfully install the same on your iPhone.
Once this is done, try to open the Facebook Messenger app that you just updated to check if you can now use it without experiencing any further errors.
|Tip: You can also update the Messenger app directly via the app store’s official pages:|
- Update the Android Messenger app on the Google Play Store Page
- Update the iPhone Messenger app on the Apple App Store Page]
Fix 8: Uninstall and Install the Facebook Messenger App Again
As stated in the previous fix, reinstalling the Facebook Messenger app is an effective solution to resolve many of its issues especially if ‘Facebook Messenger has stopped working.’
So, if Facebook Messenger is not working even after update, consider uninstalling and reinstalling the app using the instructions given below.
|Note: You don’t have to worry about losing data while reinstalling Facebook Messenger because unlike WhatsApp, the app keeps your data safe and secure.|
- Step 1: To reinstall the Facebook Messenger app, go to Google Play Store on your phone.
- Step 2: There, you’ve to search for Facebook Messenger and tap on it to open the app interface page.
- Step 3: On the same, first tap on the ‘Uninstall’ option and then, on the OK button.
- Step 4: After you’ve uninstalled the messenger app from your phone, you again have to navigate to the Messenger App interface page on Google Play Store and there, tap on the Install option this time to re-download the Facebook Messenger App on your phone.
- Step 1: On the Home Screen of your iPhone where you’ll see all the app icons, you’ve to press and hold the Messenger app until all your apps start to wiggle.
- Step 2: Then, what you need doing is tap on the X sign from the corner of the Messenger app icon.
- Step 3: As you do so, a pop-up will appear on the screen containing two options i.e.,
- Cancel your decision
- Delete the app
- Step 4: From these two options, you’ve to decide whether you want to cancel your decision or you want to delete the app.
- Step 5: Now that you’ve already made up your mind for reinstallation of the app, just tap on the Delete option for confirming that you want to remove the app.
- Step 6: Once the app gets deleted, go to the App Store of your iPhone and from there, download the Messenger app.
- Step 7: In the end, just follow the on-screen instructions to successfully install the Messenger app on your iPhone.
After you’ve done that, try opening Facebook Messenger again to check if it is of any help.
Fix 9: Update Your Phone
Another solution that we have put here is to keep your phone up-to-date. It has been observed that there are users who stop updating their respective phones for some best reasons known to them.
However, this should not happen as beyond any shadow of a doubt, updating your device not just strengthens your security, improves your device’s performance, fixes bugs but also introduces new features.
So, without even thinking once you should update your respective phone and for that, go to ‘Settings > System > System Update’ option. Then, connect to a Wi-Fi network to check for an update and to download it for updating your phone to its latest version.
After doing that, restart your phone also to see if this helps to get Messenger working again.
|Note: Restarting your phone has been touted as a solution to many problems with smartphones as restarting your phone resets the phone’s memory and thereby helps in fixing problems.|
Fix 10: Reset All Your Phone Settings
If you are still facing the same issue with your Messenger application, then you might have changed some of your phone settings and that is why facing the ‘Messenger app is not working’ issue.
If so, resetting app preferences will fix it for you as doing so will reset background data restrictions for apps, restore default apps for actions, re-enable apps and app notifications, and will also reset any permission restrictions.
Now, with that said, here’s how you can do it—
- Step 1: Head to Settings of your phone.
- Step 2: Inside settings app, scroll down to the bottom to locate and tap on the System option.
- Step 3: Next, you’ve to tap on Reset options.
- Step 4: After that from the reset options, carefully select Reset app preferences.
- Step 5: Now, simply tap the Reset Apps option available on the screen to confirm.
Fix 11: Turn on Background Data for Messenger App
Next, if the problem is that you are not getting any notification after switching from Messenger to another app; you may have disabled background data for Messenger. If that is the case, then enabling it back should help you resolve the issue.
- Step 1: In order to enable background data firstly, open your phone Settings app.
- Step 2: Inside settings, tap on the Apps & Notifications option.
- Step 3: Then, tap on the Manage apps or See all apps option. In doing so, the list of all apps that you’ve on your phone will appear on the screen.
- Step 4: From them, you simply have to locate and tap on the Messenger app to open it.
- Step 5: Now, as the Messenger app info interface will open, from it tap on the Mobile Data & WI-FI option.
- Step 6: Following that, what you need to do is check whether the option for Background Data is turned on or not. In case if not, make sure to turn Background Data option ‘On.’
|Tip: You can also enable the Unrestricted Data Usage option if you want to keep your Messenger app active when the Data Saver is on.|
Fix 12: Boot Your Device in Safe Mode
Last but not least, you should know that even a simple reason like installing an app blocker or third party app can cause issues with the apps already available on your respective mobile phone.
However, we are not saying that you have to uninstall them now, no! Instead, what you can do to avoid such third party apps and ad blocker interference with the smooth operation of your mobile apps, especially Messenger, is to boot your device in safe mode.
- Step 1: To boot your phone in Safe mode, first long-press the Power button.
- Step 2: As you do so, the Power options will appear on the screen of your phone.
- Step 3: From the available power options, you’ve to tap or hold down the Power off / Shutdown button till a pop-up appears.
- Step 4: Once it happens, tap on Reboot from the Reboot to Safe mode window and now all you’ve to do is wait for your phone to restart in Safe Mode.
|Note: You can exit safe mode anytime by restarting your phone.|
For those who are still facing the ‘Messenger not working issue’ issue on their respective iPhone or Android, we have mentioned some additional suggestions as well. Have a look—
Try Facebook Messenger Lite
If still Messenger isn’t working on your phone then, how about trying Facebook Messenger Lite. Compared to its bloated cousin, there are fewer instances of such happening with Facebook Messenger Lite. Also, this less resource-intensive version of Facebook Messenger is easy to install, uses fewer resources and comparatively less buggy.
To be precise, using Facebook Messenger Lite you will be able to enjoy messaging and chatting to all your Facebook contacts including your friends and family with a streamlined appearance and only essential features.
Having said that, if you consider using Facebook Messenger Lite then, use the below given links to download it on your respective mobile—
Visit a Service Center for Any Hardware Issue of Your Phone
You can take your mobile phone to the nearest mobile service center and see an expert who can not only help you fix all its erroneous settings but at the same time, it can also fix the software on your phone. And, maybe then, the Messenger app will start working properly on your phone.
Report an Issue with Facebook
Lastly, you can also report an issue with Facebook Messenger so that the Facebook team can help you resolve the same in real time.
- Step 1: To begin, open your Facebook Messenger App on your respective iPhone or Android mobile phone.
- Step 2: If it gets opened, you’ll see all your Chats in front of you, right! So, from the top-left corner of this page, you need to simply tap on your Profile Picture.
- Step 3: As you do so, a side-menu bar will appear on the screen, and you’ve to scroll down this menu till the bottom to select the ‘Report a Problem’ option.
- Step 4: After that, what you’ve to do is select the ‘Type of Problem’ option that best explains the issue you’re currently encountering with your Facebook Messenger app.
- Step 5: Along with this, (if applicable) you can also add a Description of the entire troubleshooting procedure that you applied to resolve this issue.
- Step 6: And, once you’ve done that, just tap on the Send button to submit the report to Facebook.
That is all! Hope this troubleshooting guide helps you in fixing these listed problems related to Messenger not working on your respective phone—
- Facebook Messenger not showing messages.
- Facebook Messenger not working after the update.
- Facebook Messenger keeps crashing when you try to open it.
- Facebook Messenger couldn’t load conversations.
- Facebook Messenger showing error in loading media.
- Facebook Messenger won’t load or freezes on your phone.