A Descriptive Guide on Discord Emojis: How to Use and Add Your Own Discord Emojis to a Server?
Not to mention, Discord is a popular messaging and communication platform for gamers and online communities. One of its standout features is its use of emojis, which can help add personality, emotion, and humor to conversations.
Basically, the point is whether you’re a Discord veteran or new to the platform, using emojis is a great way to enhance your conversations and express yourself more creatively.
So, today in this guide, we’ll explore how to use emojis on Discord, as well as how to add your own custom emojis to the server.
Having said that, let’s dive into the details —
What Are Discord Emojis: An Introduction!
Discord emojis are small digital pictures or icons used to represent a wide range of emotions, objects, and actions in conversations on the Discord platform.
These emojis not only help you express a wide range of emotions and reactions but also add personality and humor to chats.
Moving on, it’s worth noting that Discord emoji are categorized into two sets, i.e.,
In the former, Discord provides users with a default set of emoji that can be accessed through the emoji picker, which usually appears when you click on the smiley face icon in a message box. Moreover, Discord’s default emoji set includes a variety of popular emojis, such as smiley faces, animals, foods, and other objects.
And in addition to the default set of emoji that can be used in conversations, users can also add their own custom emoji to the server to personalize their conversations and express their unique style.
With respect to the latter set, know that custom emojis can be easily added to the server by anyone with the appropriate permissions, and they can be uploaded as image files in PNG, JPEG, or GIF format. Once added, custom emoji can be used in the same way as the default emoji, either by selecting them from the emoji picker or by typing the emoji code in chat.
Overall, Discord emojis are a popular feature of the platform for gamers and online communities, as they help add a level of engagement, excitement, and expression to conversations. Simply put, Discord emojis are a great way to show your enthusiasm, express your frustration, or add a little personality to your messages, just as Discord text formatting commands shape your messages experience however you want.
So, now that we’re done with the introduction, it’s time to help you learn how to use them and add your own custom emoji to the Discord server!
How to Use Emojis on the Discord Platform?
First things first, it’s easy and intuitive to use the default set of emoji on Discord, and here’s a step-by-step guide for the same. Have a look —
- Step 1: Open ‘Discord’ on your respective device and navigate to the ‘Discord chat or channel’ where you want to use emojis.
- Step 2: Then, you’ve to click on the ‘Smiley face’ icon in the message box. As you do this, it will bring up the emoji picker, which displays all the default emoji available on Discord.
- Step 3: Here, you need to browse through the ‘list of emojis’ to find the one that you want to use. Or you can also search for a specific emoji by typing ‘Keywords’ into the search bar at the top of the emoji picker.
Alternatively, if you’re on the Discord desktop app, you can use emoji shortcodes. For that, you have to type ‘Colon (:),’ ‘emoji name,’ and again ‘Colon (:)’ into a text channel or message, and the emoji will appear. For example, if you want to use the heart emoji, type “:heart:”
Note: With a wide range of emojis to choose from, you can always find the perfect emoji to match your mood or message.
- Step 4: Once you’ve found the ‘Emoji’ that you want to use, click on it to add it to the chat input field.
- Step 5: Now that you have selected the Discord emoji you want to use and inserted the same in the message box, click on the ‘Send’ button to send the message with the emoji.
That’s how easy it is to use the default set of emojis on Discord to add personality and expression to your messages.
How to Create Discord Emojis?
Unlike the default set of Discord emojis, which are available for use by default, custom emojis need to be created manually using any photo or image.
This (creating custom emoji for Discord) is a great way to personalize your chats and express your unique style.
However, in order to create custom emojis for Discord, you will need the appropriate permissions to upload custom emojis to the server. So, if you have those permissions, then creating custom emojis on Discord is as easy as —
- Choosing an ‘Image with a transparent background’ in PNG, JPEG, or GIF format that you want to use for your custom emoji.
You can find these in Google search or make your own in Canva or Photoshop but remember, the image should not be larger than 256 kb in size.
Tip: You can also download Discord emoji packs from third-party sites like emoji.gg and discord.com. If you consider using the former, know that it also has its own emoji server where you can find even more emojis, such as anime Discord emojis or Discord emoji memes, etc.
Caution: While you can keep this tip in mind, be careful when downloading emoji for Discord from the Internet, as some sites may contain malware.
So, with a little creativity and some basic image editing skills, you can create custom emojis that will enhance your Discord experience and make your conversations more engaging and expressive.
How to Add Your Own Custom Discord Emoji to a Server & Use Them?
As with creating custom emoji on Discord, you must have the appropriate permissions to add and manage emoji on the server. So, if you have those permissions, here are the steps to add custom emoji—
- Step 1: Once you’ve created the image you want to use for your custom emoji, open ‘Discord’ and navigate to the ‘Server’ where you want to add the custom emoji.
- Step 2: Then, you need to click on the ‘Server Name’ and open the ‘Server Settings’ menu.
- Step 3: Inside the server settings menu, click on the ‘Emoji’ tab (it will show you a list of all of the custom emojis that have been added to the server when there are any).
- Step 4: After that, you’ve to click on the ‘Upload Emoji’ button and this will open a file selection dialog box.
- Step 5: In that, choose the ‘Image file’ that you want to use for your custom emoji.
- Step 6: Next, you’ll have the option to ‘Crop your image file’ here and give the emoji a ‘Name’, which can be up to 32 characters long and must be descriptive of the emoji.
- Step 7: Once you’re done, click on the ‘Save’ button to upload your custom emoji to the server.
Note: It should be mentioned that there may be a limit to the number of custom emoji that can be added to the server, depending on the server’s settings and your permissions.
- Step 8: Now your custom emoji will be available for use in channels and chat on Discord servers. So, to use a custom emoji that has been added to the server, (already explained in the above section) type the ‘Emoji Code’ into the message box, which is usually the name of the emoji surrounded by colons, like this — :custom_emoji:
Note: Remember that some servers may have rules or guidelines regarding the use of custom emoji, so be sure to check with the server’s administrators if you have any questions or concerns.
How to Turn Off Auto-Emoji on Discord?
Moving on, let us tell you that Discord has a tendency to convert emoticons automatically to emojis.
With Discord’s Auto-Emoji feature, you can automatically convert certain text strings into emoji, like this- 🙂 in being converted into .
But, if it bothers you or you simply don’t like Discord to convert emoticons to emojis in general, you might want to consider turning this option off.
Don’t worry; turning off auto-emoji won’t affect the display of existing messages that contain auto-converted emojis.
So, if you prefer to turn off this feature and instead insert emoji manually, here is what you need to do—
- Step 1: Open Discord on your PC and click on the ‘Gear icon’ in the bottom left corner of the screen to access ‘User Settings.’
Note: As of now, there is no option available on the Discord mobile app to turn off the Auto Emojis feature. You can do this only in the web version of discord.
- Step 2: Then, in the User Settings menu, navigate to the ‘Text & Images’ tab.
- Step 3: There, you’ve to scroll down to the ‘Emoji’ section and find the ‘Auto-convert Emoji’ option.
- Step 4: After that, you need to ‘Toggle the Auto-convert Emoji Switch’ to the left to turn off the auto-emoji. You’ll be able to confirm when Auto-Emoji is off because the switch will turn grey.
Note: Whenever you want to turn Auto-Emoji back on, you just have to toggle the switch to the right.
Once you turn off the Auto-Emoji feature on Discord, you’ll need to manually insert emoji into your messages, either by using the emoji picker or by typing emoji codes into the message box. This also means that you can now use Discord emoticons without them being automatically converted to emoji.
How to Delete or Remove Discord Emoji from a Server?
Lastly, if you want to remove some Discord emoji from your server, again, you must be the server owner or have authorized Discord permissions.
Well, then only you can follow these steps to delete custom emoji from the Discord server—
Note: Deleting or removing custom emoji will not affect any messages containing emoji as the emoji will simply be replaced with its text code (e.g.:custom_emoji:).
- Step 1: On Discord, navigate to the ‘Server’ where the custom emoji is located.
- Step 2: Then, simply click on the ‘Server Name’ to open the server settings menu.
- Step 3: Inside the server settings menu, click on the ‘Emoji’ tab, which will show you a list of all of the custom emojis that have been added to the server.
- Step 4: From the list, you’ve to find the ‘Custom Emoji’ that you want to remove.
- Step 5: Once you’ve found it, hover your mouse over it and click on the ‘Three dots’ that appear in the upper-right corner of the emoji.
- Step 5: After that, click on the ‘Delete Emoji’ option from the drop-down menu. As you do so, it will bring up a confirmation dialog box.
- Step 6: In that, click on the ‘Delete’ button to finally confirm that you want to remove the emoji.
Once you confirm, the custom emoji will be removed from the servers and will no longer be available for use.
However, it’s important to point out that some servers may have rules or guidelines regarding the removal of custom emojis, so be sure to check with the server’s administrators if you have any questions or concerns.
That is all. Hope you know how to use Discord emojis and how to add emojis to the discord channel or server. Still, if you have any doubts or queries, read the FAQ section below.
Ans: Emoji are small images or symbols that represent a wide range of emotions, actions, and objects. They are used to express feelings, reactions, and thoughts in a fun and engaging way.
Ans: To use emoji on Discord, click the smiley face icon in the message box to bring up the emoji picker, or type the emoji code in the message box. For example, if you type 🙂 it will insert this emoji.
Ans: Yes, you can delete custom emojis from the Discord server if you have the appropriate permissions. To do so, go to the Server Settings and click on the Emoji tab. After that, find the custom emoji you want to remove and click the three dots to select the Delete Emoji option.
Ans: Go to the User Settings menu, click the Text & Images tab, and simply toggle off the Auto-convert emoji option in the Emoji section to turn off Auto-Emoji on Discord.
Ans: There are a variety of emojis available in Discord, including default emoji that are common across the platform and custom emojis that can be created and added to individual servers.
Ans: If you have the appropriate permissions to manage emojis on the server, you can create a custom emoji on the Discord server by uploading an image file and giving the emoji a name.
Ans: The number of custom emoji that can be added to a Discord server depends on the server’s settings and permissions because some servers may have a limit on the number of custom emojis that can be added.
Ans: Generally, Discord Server allows you to add up to 50 custom emoji to your Discord Server. However, if you need more than that, you’ll need people with Discord Nitro accounts to promote your server, which can give you up to 250 emoji slots. In addition, it is also possible to add animated emoji, but you can do so only if you have a Discord Nitro account.
Ans: Yes, you can use emojis in server and channel names on Discord by simply copy-pasting the desired Emoji into the Name field.
Ans: To react or reply to a message with emoji on Discord, hover your mouse over the Message and click the Smiley Face icon that appears to go to Emoji Picker and simply select an Emoji to react with!
Ans: To see a list of all the emoji available on the Discord server, go to Server Settings and click on the Emoji tab. It will show you a list of all the default and custom emojis available on the server.
Ans: If you don’t have permission to add custom emoji to a Discord server, you can still use the default emoji or any custom emoji that have already been added to the server by other users.
Next, consider reading: How to Get Someone’s IP Address from Discord?