New E-bike vs Second-hand E-bike: Which is better?
Riding an E-bike today is a very common choice and image that we can see on the streets. Although the E-bike was not very popular in the last few years, with the appearance of the pandemic, it became one of the most sought-after vehicles. But the question is whether a new E-bike or used electric bike would make a difference? Well, just like everything else, there are some differences, advantages, and disadvantages in terms of new and refurbished electric bikes.
The benefits of the bike itself are very well-known. It provides excellent physical activity and is a much more convenient transportation option than the car. This mainly refers to the traffic jam. With so much demand, the E-bike has become the number one transportation option.
The new electric bikes and the used electric bikes have their own advantages and disadvantages. One of the most obvious reasons when buying a refurbished electric bike is that it is usually cheaper than the new e-bike. However, due to the cheaper price comes the possibility of frequent problems and damages, and that would ask for repairs. The new electric bike, especially for an electric mountain bike on the other hand is more expensive, but you are getting a brand new bike. With that, comes the after-sales warranty, which is very convenient. It adds a bit more security if some mechanical error or damage happens. The new e-bike offers the possibility of choosing the color, and the functionality of the e-bike according to your needs and necessities.
Let’s dive deeper into the Pros and cons of the new and the second-hand E-bike and whether the one is better than the other.
Pros and Cons of Second-Hand Electric Bikes
What are the Advantages of Owning a Second-Hand Electric Bike?
As mentioned before, there are many advantages that put the second-hand E-bike a good option. Here is everything to consider why it is a great choice:
- The price – the second-hand e-bike is much cheaper than a new e-bike. If you have done your research, then, you will be able to pick and find a great second-hand e-bike, which will come with good quality and be cost-effective.
- When it comes to second-hand e-bikes, you will pay fewer insurance premiums that than for a new one.
- The same thing refers to the taxes too. The taxes on a second-hand e-bike are much lower which comes from the lower price.
- The second-hand E-bike is more environmentally friendly and prolongs the use time of the electric bike.
What are the Disadvantages of Owning a Second-Hand Electric Bike?
Just as there are advantages, the second-hand e-bike carries a set of disadvantages too, which may include:
- You should always be prepared that the service and the use you get from the second-hand e-bike is that it will not be very long. This comes because of the use that it had from the previous owner.
- Another important thing to keep in mind is the budget for repairs. Namely, the cost of repairs for the second-hand e-bike might be very high. That is because any additional maintenance and repairs that the second-hand e-bike needs exceed the warranty period, so be prepared to spend on parts if needed.
- Just like with other second-hand things, you can easily be deceived. The hidden problems are usually what drains the budget and come as an unpredicted thing. These things are not visible at the beginning.
Also Read: Top Reasons to Purchase a Second-Hand Bike
What to look for when buying a second-hand E-bike?
When you have gone over all the advantages and disadvantages of owning a second-hand E-bike, and you choose to go with it, these are the things to pay attention to while making the purchase:
- First and most importantly, check the age of the electric bike. The younger bikes have better geometry and a better motor too. Limit the search to an E-bike that is old no more than two years.
- Warranty is a big plus for second-hand bikes. If it is still under warranty, then, it is a catch.
- The battery and its age are also very important. Check to see whether it has been replaced, and what is its life span and capacity;
- The last thing on the list is the worn parts. Check if they are severely worn. This includes brakes, tires, etc.
Pros and Cons of New Electric Bikes
What are the Advantages of Owning a New Electric Bike?
As the saying goes, new is new. A new e-bike is something that cannot be compared to a refurbished bike. It is in the phycology of the man to enjoy the brand new more compared to the used one. The advantages of buying a brand new E-bike are quite big.
- Warranty – the first and the most important thing is the warranty. The after-sales guarantee adds to a dose of relief and a carefree state of mind. Himiway offers an after-sales guarantee. All Himiway bikes are covered under our 2-year all-inclusive manufacturer’s warranty for the owner against all manufacturing defects. Hemingway e-bike frames are covered by a replacement warranty for 2 years, while the Himiway batteries are covered by a 2-year prorated warranty. Other details about the Himiway guarantee can be checked here.
- The new E-bike has more complete and advanced functions, such as longer battery life, more power, and better riding experience.
- The price of the new E-bike is pretty high, but selling it after some time, reduces the part of the expenditure.
- The variety of styles and options is unmatched.
- New legislation has been proposed to offer substantial tax credits to those who purchase qualifying new e-bikes. This means that e-bike owners can claim a tax credit when filing a free tax return that covers up to 30% of the cost of buying a new e-bike.
What are the Disadvantages of Owning a New Electric Bike?
As mentioned above, the disadvantages of owning a new bike predominantly revolve around the price, which is pretty higher than a refurbished bike. Additionally, the taxes and the fees of the new E-bike are higher.
Overall, it all falls down on how much you are willing to spend on your E-bike and whether your mind is set on getting a new one or a second-hand E-bike.