Best DVD Rippers for Windows & Mac: Free and Premium
In recent years, with the surge in digital media, Windows and Mac computers are no longer equipped with in-built disc drives.
However, if you still have a need for DVDs, you can try a video disk digital extractor to convert the content to universal formats supported by Mac and others, in case they get lost or damaged.
This not only saves you the expense of purchasing an external drive but also provides greater convenience and ease. In this case, this post has compiled 3 best for your consideration. Without further ado, let’s dive in!
Besides that, if you want to record a PowerPoint presentation, read our detailed guide on how to record video with webcam on Windows and Mac devices.
What is the Best DVD Ripper?
It refers to a desktop application that enables you to extract video or sound from both protected and unprotected video disks and convert them to common media formats like MP4, MP3, AVI, and more. Thus, you can enjoy your movie and music collections on your devices without a drive.
Generally, to make digital extraction easy and fast, the top devices should have the following 4 features:
- Powerful Decryption: It should excel in bypassing the video disk protections and region codes to extract content from video disks, especially protected ones.
- Lossless Conversion Quality: It should ensure that the sound and video can be played on the computer with the original quality after the extraction.
- Fast Conversion Speed: It should deliver super fast extraction, saving your effort and time to complete multiple tasks.
- Multiple Format Available: It should also support various video and sound formats, enabling you to choose the most suitable format for conversion and storage based on your needs.
Considering these four key features, three top video disc digital extractors are picked from the following.
Each of them not only leverages these strengths but also features simple interface operation and extra editing functions. Keep reading to find the suitable one that best suits your needs.
VideoByte BD-DVD Ripper [Top Overall]
VideoByte BD-DVD Ripper is our top pick from the 3 top. Coming with over 300 video/sound output formats, this top-notch tool can extract your video disk collection to your ideal format, bringing ultimate visual and listening enjoyment in the finest quality possible.
If you want to rip copy-protected movies, this can also help you in removing common copy protections and make the content accessible with ease.
When you digitally extract the video disk movies, VideoByte BD-DVD can keep all the subtitles and soundtracks by default. And they are selectable when playing in media players. Better yet, this can accelerate the process with 6X faster speed. In this way, you can save multiple video disks within a limited time.
Highlighted Features of VideoByte BD-DVD Ripper:
- Rip encrypted video discs to MP4, MKV, MP3, and other 300+ formats.
- Enable 6X faster ripping speed, saving you valuable time.
- Rip Blu-rays and video disks with original quality preservation.
- Retain all subtitles and soundtracks while removing video disc protections.
- Provide diverse parameter settings to match your device and taste preferences.
- Include a built-in editor to edit video disk sound/video for fun in a direct way.
If you can’t wait to try this immediately, just follow the 3 simple steps below.
Step 1. Import DVD Content to VideoByte
Install and launch VideoByte on your computer. Then go to “Load DVD” > “Load DVD Disc” to import DVD media.
Step 2. Choose the DVD Content
Click “Full Movie List” and choose the sound or video you want to rip after the DVD content is imported. To change the output format, you can head to “Rip all to“, in the top right corner for selection.
Step 3. Start to Rip DVD
If you want to change the destination folder, you can go to the “Save to” button. Then, click “Rip All” to extract audio or video from the video disc. Once it is complete, go to the destination folder to enjoy your ripped videos.
Another device that is worth the try, is VLC. As a piece of free and open-source media software, VLC supports a wide range of codecs and formats such as MP4, AVI, MKV, and more. This makes it one of the top media players and the best free DVD ripper.
With the help of some useful third-party configuration profiles, VLC can remove most protections and extract one file or the entire video disc. Moreover, VLC not only can do digital extraction but can also be used to convert Blu-rays, audio CDs, or VCDs into formats compatible with Mac and others for playback.
- Free to use on Windows, Mac, and Linux.
- Provide various video and sound formats.
- Support video disc, Blue-Ray, CD, and VCD extracting.
- Come with extra features like playback speed adjustment, filter application, etc.
- Slow Digital extraction.
- Fail to extract protected video disks if you don’t install VideoLAN, AACS dynamic library, or other profile.
Handbrake is a free software available for Windows, macOS, and Linux. It not only supports file-to-file video conversion but also can rip DVDs to MP4, MKV, and WebM files. Also, this handy tool has no limit on the length of extraction, making it particularly suitable for movie conversion.
Moreover, thanks to its customized setting features, Handbrake allows for better control over output quality and file size by setting up video or sound codecs, bitrates, output formats, and other parameters.
Alone, it does not support video disc copy protection removal. It also requires the assistance of third-party profiles like videoLAN to fully enable the aforementioned functions.
- Free and open-source to use on specific operating systems.
- Support video discs, Blu-ray, and other output devices.
- It boasts a lot of personalized parameter settings.
- Comprehensive editing features.
- Need extra tools to remove video disc protection.
These devices are easily accessible online. You need to consider the practicality and convenience of the software.
The three top tools introduced in this post each have their own strengths and weaknesses, but VLC and Handbrake need third-party configuration tools to remove copyright protection. This complicates the operation to some extent.
Therefore, VideoByte BD-DVD Ripper should be given top priority as it provides a one-stop video disc digital extraction solution and offers editing tools for creating engaging short videos instantly. So download VideoByte and extract your video disc right now!